Send Paul to the Electoral College

Send me to the Electoral College in 2008 and I promise that I will vote exactly as I am supposed to. I will not abstain in a protest, vote for "the other guy" or otherwise do anything foolish. I will dress up nice, behave myself, and vote. I am a resident of the State of Kansas and a registered voter.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Importance of Local Elections

So many times I hear people say that they don't vote in the "smaller elections" because they "don't matter as much" as the Presidential Election which happens once every four years.

My belief is somewhat different. I believe that the local elections are far more important! There are several reason for this:

  1. Local Elections affect my daily life. The local tax issues, the value of property, creation of roads and re-zoning of real estate affect my daily life. Local sales tax issues affect my spending, and local tax abatements for larger companies affect the local economy and my income. Local Judges make many decisions about the community law.
  2. I have more voice in Local Elections. In a national election, even through the electoral process, my vote is one among the state. In a local election I am one vote in the city or county or even the ward or precinct, depending on the issue. My vote has a louder voice.
  3. I have more awareness of local issues. Local issues on sales tax and property are easily understood and felt by members of the local community. However, it is very difficult for the average person (me included) to truly have a grasp of the needs of foreign policy issues or even many federal issues.
  4. I have a greater understanding of local candidates. It is very unlikely that I will ever meet a Presidential candidate before the election, and even if I meet one I would not likely get to know them. However, a local mayor, council member, or judge is someone I can meet and get to know. I can spend time with them and understand who they are.

Please don't mis-understand me: the federal elections are very important. Just don't forget the local elections!

Don't forget to vote in the local elections on April 4. JoCo KS Election Board

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home